Ultra high density, cementitious fireproofing for tunnels and severe environmental exposure
MONOKOTE® Z-156T ultra high density cementitious fireproofing has been developed by GCP Applied Technologies to meet specialty and industrial fireproofing requirements requiring greater resistance to harsh environmental conditions.
MONOKOTE® Z-156T is a Portland cement-based, factory-mixed material requiring only the addition of water on the job site for application. It is spray applied, providing up to 4 hours of fire resistance. Its physical characteristics are excellent for areas exposed to environmental or climatic conditions. MONOKOTE® Z-156T may be used in areas where high durability and corrosion resistance is required such as substrates subjected to exterior exposure.
Features & Benefits
MONOKOTE® Z-156T offers the following advantages to architects, engineers, and applicators:
- Factory pre-mixed - Ready to use. No job site proportioning required. Simply add water in a standard paddle-type plaster mixer and apply with conventional plastering equipment.
- Non-toxic - The factory-mixed blend of common Portland cement and other inert materials requires only the addition of water for mixing and application.
- Attractive finishes - MONOKOTE® Z-156T may be sprayed or hand troweled after spraying to achieve a lightly textured appearance.
- Equipment versatility - MONOKOTE® Z-156T can be mixed in a standard plaster mixer. After mixing, MONOKOTE® Z-156T may be spray-applied with commonly available pumping and spraying equipment.
- Corrosion inhibition - MONOKOTE® Z-156T neither prevents nor promotes the corrosion of steel, however, the inclusion of calcium nitrite as a corrosion inhibitor has been shown to retard the rate of corrosion due to salt and other aggressive environmental conditions.
- Moisture resistant - The Portland cement base affords excellent fire protection characteristics in areas subjected to high humidity.
- Durable - Hardness and maximum durability help resist accidental physical damage even in the toughest exposures.
- Weatherable - Able to withstand freeze/thaw, wind, rain and other climatic conditions.
- Up to 4 hours in accordance with the Rijkswaterstaat (RWS) fire curve
- Up to 4 hours in accordance with UL 1709 hydrocarbon test
- Jet fire testing in accordance with HSE standard OTI 95 634
- Up to 4 hours in accordance with UL 263 (ASTM E119)
- Investigated by UL for exterior use
MONOKOTE® Z-156T may be used in roadway tunnels and in exterior environments where a highly durable fireproofing is required and a threat of steel corrosion is present.
Delivery & Storage
All material to be used for fireproofing should be delivered in original unopened packages bearing the name of the manufacturer, the brand and proper Underwriters Laboratories Inc. labels for fire hazard and fire resistance classifications.
The material should be kept dry until ready for use. Keep packages of material off the ground, under cover and away from sweating walls and other damp surfaces. All bags that have been exposed to water before use should be discarded. Stock of material is to be rotated and used before its expiration date.
Steel & Concrete Surfaces
Prior to the application of MONOKOTE® Z-156T, an inspection should be made to determine that all steel surfaces are acceptable to receive fireproofing. The steel to be fireproofed should be free of oil, grease, excess rolling compounds or lubricants, loose mill scale, excess rust, noncompatible primer, lock down agent or any other substance that will impair proper adhesion. Where necessary, the cleaning of steel surfaces to receive fireproofing will be the responsibility of the general contractor.
Prior to application of MONOKOTE® Z-156T, a bonding agent, approved by the fireproofing manufacturer, should be applied to all concrete substrates to receive MONOKOTE® Z-156T.
The project architect will determine if the painted/ primed steel to receive fireproofing has been tested to provide the required fire resistance rating.
|Physical Properties||Recommended Specification||Laboratory Tested* Values||Test Method **|
|Dry density, minimum average||Min. 50 pcf (800 kg/m3)||See note below***||ASTM E605|
|Bond strength||Min. 10,000 psf (478 kN/m2)||20,680 psf (990 kPa)||ASTM E736|
|Compression, 10% deformation||850 psi (5.86 MPa)||874 psi (6.03 MPa)||ASTM E761|
|Air erosion||Max 0.000 g/ft2 (0.00 g/m2)||0.000 g/ft2 (0.00 g/m2)||ASTM E859|
|High velocity air erosion||No continued erosion after 4 hours||No continued erosion after 4 hours||ASTM E859|
|Bond impact||No cracking, spalling or delamination||No cracking, spalling or delamination||ASTM E760|
|Deflection||No cracking, spalling or delamination||No cracking, spalling or delamination||ASTM E759|
|Resistance to mold growth||No growth after 28 days||No growth after 28 days||ASTM G21|
|Surface burning characteristics||Flame spread = 0 Smoke developed = 0||Flame spread = 0 Smoke developed = 0||ASTM E84|
|Combustibility||Less than 5 MJ/m2 total,
20 kw/m2 peak heat release
|Less than 5 MJ/m2 total,
20 kw/m2 peak heat release
* Independent laboratory tested value. Report available upon request.
** ASTM International test methods modified for Bond Strength and Compressive Strength, where required, for high density, high performance products.
*** All in-place performance tests should be conducted at or below the minimum recommended specification density.
MONOKOTE® Z-156T should be mixed by machine in a conventional, plaster-type mixer or a continuous mixer specifically modified for cementitious fireproofing. The mixer should be kept clean and free of all previously mixed material. Adjust the mixer speed in a conventional mixer to the lowest speed which gives adequate blending of the material and a mixer density of 65 to 70 pcf (1040 to 1120 kg/m3) of material.
Using a suitable metering device and a conventional mixer, add all water to the mixer as the blades turn. Mixing should continue until the mix is lump-free, with a creamy texture. All material is to be thoroughly wet. Over mixing MONOKOTE® Z-156T will reduce pumping rate and will negatively affect in-place density and mechanical properties.
Temperature & Ventilation
The substrate temperature shall be a minimum of 40°F (4.5°C) for at least 1-hour prior to the application of the MONOKOTE®. Additionally, the air and substrate temperature during application and for a minimum or 72 hours after application shall be no less than 40°F (4.5°C).
Provisions shall be made for ventilation to properly dry the fireproofing after application. In enclosed areas lacking natural ventilation, air circulation and ventilation must be provided to achieve a minimum total fresh air exchange rate of 4 times per hour until the material is substantially dry.
The architect will select an independent testing laboratory (for which the owner will pay) to sample and verify the thickness and density of the fireproofing in accordance with the the applicable building code. The architect will select an independent testing laboratory (for which the owner will pay) to randomly sample and verify the bond strength of the fireproofing.
- No recognized field bond strength test procedure exists for sprayed fireproofing materials with bond strengths greater than 1,000 psf (4,882 kg/m2) such as MONOKOTE® Z-156.
- Where bond strength specifications exceed 1,000 psf (4,882 kg/m2) it is recommended that independent laboratory test data based upon a modified version of ASTM E736 be submitted to verify specification compliance.
- Results of the above tests will be made available to all parties at the completion of pre-designated areas which shall have been determined at a pre-job conference..
MONOKOTE® Z-156T is slippery when wet. Signs reading “SLIPPERY WHEN WET” should be posted in all areas in contact with wet fireproofing material. Anti-slip surfaces should be used on all working surfaces.
SDS (Safety Data Sheets) for MONOKOTE® Z-156T are available on our web site or call toll free at 866-333-3SBM.
ca.gcpat.com | North America customer service: 1-877-4AD-MIX (1-877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
MONOKOTE is a trademark, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 62 Whittemore Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140 USA.
In Canada, 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6.
Ce document est à jour seulement à la date de la dernière mise à jour indiquée ci-dessous et n'est valide que pour une utilisation au Canada. Il est important que vous consultiez toujours les informations actuellement disponibles sur l'URL ci-dessous pour fournir les informations les plus récentes sur le produit au moment de l'utilisation. Des documents supplémentaires tels que les manuels de l'entrepreneur, les bulletins techniques, les dessins détaillés et les recommandations détaillées ainsi que d'autres documents pertinents sont également disponibles sur www.ca.gcpat.com. Les informations trouvées sur d'autres sites Web ne doivent pas être utilisées, car elles peuvent ne pas être à jour ou applicables aux conditions de votre site et nous déclinons toute responsabilité quant à leur contenu. S'il y a des conflits ou si vous avez besoin de plus d'informations, veuillez contacter le service client de GCP.
Last Updated: 2018-12-12