ADCOR® 500S Waterstop
Conformable, hydro-expansive waterstop for preventing water entry through joints in concrete sub-structures
GCP Applied Technologies’ (“GCP”) ADCOR® 500S waterstop is a conformable, butyl rubber-based hydrophilic waterstop strip that expands in contact with water. When fully encapsulated by poured concrete, the expansive forces form a seal against concrete faces. This seal resists hydrostatic pressure, and is specifically engineered to stop water from entering sub-structures. The ADCOR® 500S waterstop is a unique product that has been specifically developed to provide superior performance compared to conventional bentonite and swellable rubber waterstops.
- Construction joints in in-situ concrete structures
- Casting new concrete against existing
- Floor slabs cast against diaphragm retaining walls, steel sheet piles and secant piled walls
- Joints between floor slabs and pile caps
- Pipe penetrations through floors and walls
- Controlled volumetric expansion reduces risk of concrete spalling
- Retains cohesive strength at both original and expanded volume
- Malleable and conformable, enabling easy application to a variety of concrete profiles and a variety of irregular substrates
- Resists at least 231 ft. (70m) hydrostatic pressure.
- Volumetric expansion min 100%
- Simple overlap jointing onsite.
- Reproducible swell after wet – dry cycling
- Unaffected by freeze/thaw cycling
- ADCOR® 500S waterstop: a conformable, butyl rubber-based hydrophilic waterstop strip that expands in contact with water
- ADCOR® 500S adhesive: One-component, caulk-applied adhesive required for attachment of the ADCOR® 500S waterstop
Limitations of Use
- Approved uses only include those uses specifically detailed in this Product Data Sheet and other current Product Data Sheets that can be found at gcpat.com.
- ADCOR® 500S waterstop is not intended for any other use. Contact GCP Technical Services where any other use is anticipated or intended.
- To be effective, waterstop networks (including ADCOR® 500S waterstop) must be continuous through all joints and penetrations.
- The ADCOR® 500S waterstop should not be used in movement joints.
- Not suitable for use with pre-cast concrete components.
- Not suitable for use without ADCOR® 500S adhesive. Mechanical fasteners should never be used as the only means of securement.
- Special Note: When this information is printed from the gcpat.com global website, a footer appearing on this document will restrict its applicability to the United States. Note that the information and references in this document are hereby expanded and apply to North, Central and South America.
Safety and Handling
Read and understand the product label and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for each system component. All users should acquaint themselves with this information prior to working with the products and follow the precautionary statements.
SDSs can be obtained by contacting your local GCP representative or office, by calling GCP toll free at 1-866-333-3SBM (3726) and in some cases from our web site at gcpat.com.
- Observe one-year shelf life and use on a first in first out basis.
- Store in dry conditions between 40°F (4.5°C)-90°F (32°C).
- Store off ground under tarps or otherwise protected from rain, and all sources of moisture and frost.
Technical Support, Details and Technical Letters
The most up-to-date detail drawings and technical letters are available at gcpat.com. For complete application instructions, please refer to the current GCP Applied Technologies Contractor Handbook and Literature on www.gcpat.com. Documents in hardcopy as well as information found on websites other than www.gcpat.com may be out of date or in error. Before using this product, it is important that information be conﬁrmed by accessing www.gcpat.com and reviewing the most recent product information, including without limitation Product Data Sheets, Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations.
Support is also available by full-time technically trained GCP Applied Technologies ﬁeld sales representatives and technical service personnel, backed by a central research and development technical services staﬀ. For technical assistance with detailing and problem solving, please call toll-free at (866) 333-3SBM (3726).
Temperature Requirements (application)
- The ADCOR® 500S waterstop can be applied at temperatures between 25°F and 104°F.
Substrates must be clean and dry, free of all contaminants, such as oil, loose laitance and construction debris prior to the application of the ADCOR® 500S waterstop.
- Concrete surfaces must be sound, and free of large voids and honeycombs.
- Concrete surface must be free from ice, frost and standing water.
Horizontal and Vertical Installation
1. Apply a continuous minimum 3/8” (10 mm) bead of ADCOR® 500S adhesive directly to the concrete substrate, ensuring the minimum 3” (75mm) of concrete cover will be maintained. ADCOR® 500S adhesive can be applied to damp surfaces but should not be used where the substrate is wet or has standing or flowing water.
2. The ADCOR® 500S waterstop must be installed into the ADCOR® 500S adhesive within 30 minutes of the adhesive application.
3. Remove the release paper from the roll of ADCOR® 500S waterstop before firmly pressing the waterstop into the ADCOR® 500S adhesive. Ensure full and continuous contact between the ADCOR® 500S waterstop and the ADCOR® 500S adhesive and substrate.
4. For all shotcrete applications, mechanical fastening is required to ensure full contact remains between the ADCOR® 500S and the ADCOR® 500S adhesive to the substrate. For certain other conditions, such as overhead applications, very irregular substrates or temperatures below 40°F, mechanical fastening may also be necessary.
5. When fastening is necessary, secure ADCOR® 500S to the ADCOR® 500S adhesive and substrate using masonry nails ½ –2 in. (40 mm– 50 mm) long with a washer ¾ in. (20 mm) in diameter. Powder actuated fasteners in similar length with a ¾ in. (20 mm) diameter washers may also be used. Fasteners should be spaced at a maximum of 12 in. (300 mm) on centers or as required to ensure continuous contact with the immediate substrate.
6. All joints should be overlapped side by side at a minimum of 4 in. (100mm). Ensure full contact between jointed pieces of the ADCOR® 500S waterstop.
7. The ADCOR® 500S waterstop can be bent around corners. Ensure that ADCOR® 500S adhesive fills any gaps between the ADCOR® 500S waterstop and the substrate.
8. Any damaged ADCOR® 500S waterstop must be removed and repaired with a new section of ADCOR® 500S waterstop following the above installation procedures
9. Keep the ADCOR® 500S waterstop dry prior to pouring concrete. Any sections showing evidence of premature swelling should be removed and replaced prior to concrete placement.
10. The ADCOR® 500S waterstop must be encapsulated by a minimum of 3 in. (75mm) of concrete cover.
|ADCOR® 500S||3/4 in X 1 in X 16½ ft (5m) rolls
Pallet weight 1720 lbs.
|ADCOR® 500S adhesive||
13.5 oz. (400ml) sausage for caulking gun application
ADCOR® 500S Waterstop: Typical Values
|PROPERTY||ADCOR® 500S WATERSTOP|
|Volumetric Expansion in Cement Water||100% min.|
|Hydrostatic Head Resistance||231 ft (70m)|
|Service Temperature Range||248°F max.|
|Application Temperature||25°F (-5°C) – 104°F (40°C)|
|Minimum Concrete Cover||3in.|
|Maximum Bend||180° at 32°F (0°C)|
|Minimum Overlap||4 in (100mm)|
ca.gcpat.com | North America customer service: 1-877-4AD-MIX (1-877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right. This information is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the United States. It is important that you always refer to the most current information at gcpat.com.
ADCOR® 500S Waterstop and are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2019 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6.
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the Canada. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-11-24