TL-0018 — Use of GCP Applied Technologies PERM-A-BARRIER® Systems with Stucco Technical Letter
The stucco and air barrier industries, both recognize the need for drainage between an air barrier assembly (used in lieu of building paper in exterior walls) and a stucco veneer. Building science sources/guides recommend that a drainage space be provided between the stucco and the air barrier drainage plane. GCP Applied Technologies (GCP)supports this recommendation and offers the additional information below.
GCP allows the use of traditional stucco and lath exterior veneers over PERM-A-BARRIER® Systems under the following conditions:
- The GCP air barrier material and assembly is appropriate for the intended wall design (by others) in consideration of air barrier type (permeable vs. impermeable) and climatic conditions
- Because stucco is a relatively absorbent cladding, proper wall design requires drainage of water down and out of a wall assembly. If it is expected that the stucco could become bonded to the air barrier assembly, GCP strongly recommends drainage between the stucco and the PERM-A-BARRIER® System.
- While ultimately the type of method used to provide for this drainage is up to the designer, it has been shown this can often be accomplished via a number of different ways:
- A layer of conventional building paper/felt between the stucco lath and PERM-A-BARRIER® System.
- A type of metal lath or other method that stands the stucco away from the PERM-A-BARRIER® System and creates a drainage channel behind the stucco.
- Or similar means to facilitate proper drainage between the stucco assembly and the PERM-A-BARRIER® System.
- Regardless of which drainage method is incorporated, an air and water tight seal should be achieved at any fasteners through the air barrier to provide for air and water tight performance as required per project specifications.
GCP is continuing to evaluate the use of stucco and lath exterior veneers with our PERM-A-BARRIER® Systems to determine best practice techniques.
Please refer to the GCP PERM-A-BARRIER® Stucco Details for additional information about the use of Stucco Veneers with our PERM-A-BARRIER® Systems. GCP PERM-A-BARRIER® Aluminum Flashing is not included in the GCP PERM-A-BARRIER® Stucco Details due to a requirement per ASTM C926 Standard Specification for Application of Portland Cement-Based Plaster1 indicating that no aluminum flashing should be used with stucco veneer. All flashing material used with stucco veneer shall be comprised of corrosion-resistant materials.
1 ASTM C926-06 Standard Specification for Application of Portland Cement-Based Plaster, paragraph A2.1.2
ca.gcpat.com | North America customer service: 1-877-4AD-MIX (1-877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright or other third-party right.
PERM-A-BARRIER, BITUTHENE, and RIPCORD are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 62 Whittemore Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6.
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the Canada. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-11-24