TRI-FLEX® XT Synthetic Underlayment
Premium performance synthetic underlayment.
TRI-FLEX® XT synthetic roofing underlayment is a high performance water-shedding underlayment. The new coating formulation provides superior foot traction. It is 20 times stronger than #30 felt and withstands high wind conditions; it is lighter than #30 felt and covers more area. The product is mechanically attached to the roof and can be used alone or in conjunction with GCP self-adhered underlayments.
TRI-FLEX® XT roofing underlayment provides a stable base for the application of mechanically-attached roof coverings and serves as a secondary water shed to help prevent leaks if water penetrates the primary roof covering. The product may also be used to temporarily “dry in” the structure for a period of 6 months before the roof construction is finished or if the primary roof coverings become damaged.
TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment is suitable for application as part of all major roof covering systems.
TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment is a high strength woven synthetic roofing underlayment coated on both sides with slip resistant polymers. The new and improved coating formulation provides superior foot traction. This composition creates a tough, weather-resistant membrane designed to perform in the harshest conditions in North America.
TRI-FLEX® XT roofing underlayment is available in 10 sq rolls (48 in. wide x 250 ft long), and is available in with a black or gray topside surface.
- Improved Slip Resistant Coating
- Lighter and covers more area
- Stronger and more durable
- Facilitates faster and easier installation
- Suitable for use under all major roof coverings
- Custom Logo Printing Available
- 25 Year Warranty
Features & Benefits
Below are some of the major benefits of TRI-FLEX® XT roofing underlayment:
- Improved Slip Resistant Surface - New coating provides superior foot traction
- It’s lighter and covers more area - A roll of underlayment is around half the weight of #30 felt, and has nearly 5 times the coverage.
- It’s stronger - TRI-FLEX® XT roofing underlayment is 20 times stronger than felt and won’t tear away from nails even in high winds.
- It’s more durable - TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment can be left exposed for up to 6 months. It doesn’t dry out or rot at high temperatures. It doesn’t crack or become brittle at low temperatures.
- Facilitates faster and easier installation - The lighter rolls make the one-person application fast and easy. It also means fewer trips up the ladder and lower labor costs.
- Suitable for use under all major roof coverings - TRI-FLEX® XT mechanically-attached underlayment can be used under shingles, tiles, slate, metal and cedar shakes. Refer to subsequent sections for more details.
- Custom Logo Available - The product can printed with a customer logo. Minimum order amounts apply. Please contact the GCP sales representative for details.
- GCP technical support - TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment is backed by a team of local technical support personnel that help ensure every application goes smoothly.
- The roof deck must be swept clean and be smooth and dry before installation begins.
- TRI-FLEX® XT membrane is laid horizontally (parallel to eave), starting at the bottom of the roof, with printed side up and with 4-inch side laps and 6-inch end laps. Side laps run with the flow of water in a shingling manner.
- TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment should not be used at slopes less than 2:12, provided the slope is also acceptable to the primary roof covering. On slopes of less than 4:12, GCP membrane should be half-lapped a full 24 inches over the underlying course, shingle style.
- TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment is attached to the roof with roofing nails or staples both having 1-inch diameter plastic/metal caps, spaced at 8 inches on center (oc) on both side and end laps in normal wind zones. In high wind zones or coastal applications, double the fastening to 4 inches oc. In all cases fasten at 24 inches oc down the middle of the roll in the field of the roof. Fasteners may be hand or machine applied. Staples without caps cannot be used.
- Where seams or joints require sealant or adhesive, use a high quality, low solvent, asbestos free plastic roofing cement meeting ASTM D4586 Type 1, Federal Spec SS-153 Type 1 (Asbestos Free). Consult your local GCP representative for more details.
- Install drip edge at eaves under underlayment and at rake over underlayment.
- Installation of the roof covering can proceed immediately following underlayment application. TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment cannot be used as a primary roof covering. The product is not designed for permanent outdoor exposure. The installation of the final roof covering should take place within 6 months.
- For additional protection lay a single length of TRI-FLEX® XT membrane vertically in valleys and on hips prior to installing metal flashings (if used) and before installing horizontal underlayment. Return TRI-FLEX® XT roofing underlayment up all abutments at least 12 inches (more in heavy snow areas). Secure and trim to suit.
- Prior to loading roofing materials on TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment it is recommended that roof jacks, toe-boards or a storage platform be secured to the underlying roof deck to prevent slippage of stored materials on steep sloped roofs. See OSHA Regulations (Standards – 29 CFR), Fall Protection Systems Criteria and Practices – 1926.502.
- Check local building code to ensure compliance in your area, as local building codes may vary.
Precautions and Limitations
- Consistent with good roofing practice, always wear fall protection when working on a roof deck.
- Slippery when wet or covered by frost, debris or dust.
- Do not fold over the roof edge unless the edge is protected by a drip edge, gutter or other flashing material.
- Check with the manufacturer of the metal roofing system for any special requirements when used under metal roofing. Do not install directly under roof coverings especially sensitive to corrosion, such as zinc, without providing proper ventilation.
- Do not install under copper, Cor-Ten®, or zinc metal roofing in high altitudes or in the desert southwest. These roofs can reach extremely high temperatures due to the low reflectivity, high absorption, and high conductivity of the metals.
- Provide proper roof insulation and ventilation to help reduce ice dams and to minimize condensation.
- Repair holes, fishmouths, tears and damage to product. TRI-FLEX® XT underlayment does not self-seal open fastener penetrations.
- Do not use un-capped staples.
- Do not install fasteners through the product over unsupported areas of the structural deck, such as over the joints between adjacent structural panels.
- Do not stretch TRI-FLEX® XT membrane during installation. The product should be pulled taut, but should not be stretched.
|10 SQ ROLL|
|Roll length||250 ft (76.2 m)|
|Roll width||48 in (1.05 m)|
|Roll size||1,000 ft2 (92.9 m2)|
|Roll weight||28 lbs (12.7 kg)|
|Rolls per pallet||30|
- Meets the requirements of ICC AC-188 (Acceptance Criteria for Roofing Underlayments) and Miami Dade County requirements
- Complies with ASTM E108/UL 790 for use in the installation of Class A asphalt glass fiber mat shingles and Class C asphalt organic felt or metal shingles
- Meets ASTM D226 physical requirements of Type I and Type II (#15 and #30 asphalt felt)
|PROPERTY||TRI-FLEX® XT||TEST METHOD|
|Color (front/back)||Black/Black or Gray/Black|
|Weight||28 lbs (10 sq roll)|
|Tear strength||MD 58 lbs; CD 77 lbs||ASTM D4533|
|Accelerated aging||Pass (no damage, cracking, chipping)||ICC-ES AC48|
|Ultraviolet resistance||Pass (no peeling, chipping, cracking, flaking)||ICC-ES AC48|
|Water ponding||Pass (no percolation)||ASTM D779|
|Pliability||Pass (no cracks)||ASTM D226|
|Water transmission||Pass||ASTM D4869|
|Tensile strength||MD 96 lbs; CD 116 lbs||ASTM D828|
|Thickness||7 mils||ASTM D3767|
ca.gcpat.com | North America customer service: 1-877-4AD-MIX (1-877-423-6491)
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright or other third-party right.
TRI-FLEX is a trademark, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2018 GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 450, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Canada, Inc., 294 Clements Road, West, Ajax, Ontario, Canada L1S 3C6.
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in the Canada. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-11-24